This recipe was originally posted to the Mabel & Joy blog back in 2018. It is just too good not to repost (with updates). The combination of hazelnuts and cacao makes this flourless slice a little bit decadent.
Feel free to substitute your nuts with more economical ones, such as almonds or cashews, though we do recommend hazelnuts.
2 cups hazelnuts
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut butter
1/3 cup cacao powder
½ cup cacao butter, melted
½ cup cashews
1 cup brazil nuts
½ cup Mabel & Joy's BALANCE Organic Cacao Superfoods Booster
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla paste
Add roughly chopped nuts and/or sprinkle with desiccated coconut
1. Process the hazelnuts in a food processor until they resemble a fine meal but in no way look oily or like nut butter. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz for another minute until all the ingredients have been mixed through. They should resemble a crumbly texture. Press the base evenly into a 26 x 16cm tin lined with baking paper. Place in the fridge and allow it to chill while you make the filling.
2. Place the cacao butter in a stainless steel bowl over boiling water. Once it begins to melt remove from the heat to allow it to fully melt.
3. Process 3/4 of the nuts in a food processor until they resemble a fine meal (roughly chop the rest to add to the top of the slice in the next step) and begin to release their oils; this time it can begin to turn into nut butter. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth with a sticky fudge-like texture.
4. Add half of the roughly chopped nuts to the fudge and mix.
5. Spoon the fudge into the tray and spread evenly. Place a piece of baking paper on top of the fudge and use your hands to get the top even and smooth. Chill in the fridge with the paper on.
6. After a minimum of 6 hours (or when set firm), remove from the fridge and slice into bars.
* This recipe is not safe for those who have allergies to tree nuts