In addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, lima beans can increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores. A cup of lima beans contains 24.9% of the daily value for this important mineral, which is key for menstruating, pregnant and lactating women. All the more reason to keep some of these brownies in the fridge!
Ingredients425g can butter beans (lima beans)
½ cup almond meal
½ self-raising flour*
½ cup Mabel & Joy Balance Organic Cacao Superfood Booster
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown rice syrup
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup dark choc chips
*To make these GF, omit flour and double almond meal, adding ¼ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp baking soda
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a loaf tin (23x13cm).
2. After draining and rinsing beans, place all ingredients into a food processor (except choc chips) and process until smooth.
3. Distribute choc chips evenly through mix, before placing it in tin.
4. Bake for 30mins, or until cooked (check with a knife). You may need to bake it for an additional time, though can cover with foil if the top is getting too cooked.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 15mins, before placing on a wire tray.
6. Eat as is, or top with Peanut Butter icing.